Re: Donation (Re: Membership Fees)

Andy Tai wrote:

> Yes, donations are much better than membership fees.  GNOME has no clearly
> defined expenses for now, and companies like VA Linux are ready to give
> money anyway, donations or fees, so  it is not likely the GNOME Foundation will
> have no money to start with.  But donations make sure there won't be too much
> money sitting idle. Once the GNOME Foundation is up and wins the confidence
> of the community, then it can decide to impose membership fees or not, based
> on the expected expenses at that time. (Or membership fees may never be
> necessary)
>
> Just my 2e-4 cent donation

And maybe the biggest ammount of money would come from users or LUGs and
not from companies... as long as we manage to collect it in different
countries and pay exchange rates ;) ... or will it be kept by local
instances of the foundation.

So we may not be so paranoid about corporate membership and money
problems... don't forget that we're speaking about tens of companies,
but millions of users.

My 2 euros, before being able to donate more ;)
--
Olivier BERGER - Membre du C.A. de l'association APRIL
APRIL (http://www.april.org) - Vive python (http://www.python.org)