Re: Membership dues [ was: Re: Advisory Board Letter ]

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Personally, I do think having an executive director could be helpful,
> depending on the person. I don't think steercom does a great job of
> taking care of it's current responsibilities that well by itself - we
> are all hackers, and would rather code than organize or politick. I
> don't think the foundation would be coming together at all right now
> if it weren't for all the other people on various company payrolls
> helping out.

If there is a substantial need for it, it would be coming together
without company salary dollars being spent.  It would probably not be
moving at quite the pace, but I don't see that as a huge problem
either.  It seems like the recent effort is so focused on company
interests that it possibly wouldn't be happening without company salary
dollars being spent, though.

If the best thing we can think of to do with company dues is to hire an
executive director, I think we should instead ask companies to meet some
metric for full-time gnome hackers, submitted lines of code, or
documentation volume in order to be included in the advisory board.

Mike