Re: Membership dues [ was: Re: Advisory Board Letter ]

David,

I think this is an important issue that merits further discussion.  My take on
it is that, looking at prospective members that I can think of, everybody's
able to afford the membership fee, and there's a real likelihood that we'll
want to have a coordination person.  If we don't need a staff person, then we
have a 'war chest' that we can use to organize conferences, buy computers for
hackers etc.  And it breaks my heart to think of some of the huge companies who
may come on board, and to think that we might *not* ask them for $20,000 to
donate to the cause.  So the current dues structure gives us that option, and
options are good in life.

If a start-up came along tomorrow that cannot afford the fee, then the board
can (and, I'm sure, will) waive the fee.

Now, if there's consensus that having a $100,000 budget and/or having one paid
staff person, is a Bad Idea, then obviously we should change the proposed
membership structure.

Bart