Re: Membership dues [ was: Re: Advisory Board Letter ]

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@eazel.com> writes:

> Personally, I do think having an executive director could be helpful,
> depending on the person. I don't think steercom does a great job of
> taking care of it's current responsibilities that well by itself - we
> are all hackers, and would rather code than organize or politick. I
> don't think the foundation would be coming together at all right now
> if it weren't for all the other people on various company payrolls
> helping out.

Hmm, I guess I got the wrong idea about the foundation. It was my
understanding that the foundation would do nothing of the sort in
terms of what the steercom does - in fact I find it a little
disconcerting that a non-hacker/contributor would be involved with the
work the steercom is supposed to do (releases, technical decisions,
etc). This seems to be a change in what was discussed for the role of
the foundation.

I still see no compelling argument for a director. I also don't think
20K will keep companies away who are not serious. On the contrary, it
may keep some serious companies away. We don't want companies money,
we want them to embrace GNOME and help with the development of it
within the community that exists. Just like what Eazel has done... we
don't want Eazel's money, we want Eazel's code and opinions on
technical direction.

Dave

--

David Mason