[fdn-ann] Re: GNOME MEDIA ADVISORY seems to be going beyond original plans
- From: Miguel de Icaza <miguel helixcode com>
- To: jg pa dec com (Jim Gettys)
- Cc: foundation-announcement gnome org, emcshane chenpr com,msouza chenpr com;, Marco Boerries Eng Sun COM;;;;,"Dwyer, Alanna" <Alanna Dwyer compaq com>,"Johnson, Glenn" <G Johnson compaq com>, bart eazel com
- Subject: [fdn-ann] Re: GNOME MEDIA ADVISORY seems to be going beyond original plans
- Date: 10 Aug 2000 19:23:56 -0400
Taking the input of everyone, I have fixed up the points of
discussion for the press conference:
1. Main point of the announcement: Key Players join forces to
create GNOME Foundation and deliver next generation user
environment for PCs, Internet Devices and PDAs.
2. Eazel, Helix, Red Hat and Sun (Gnumatic? Confirmation?)
commit to work on the integration of GNOME components, Open
Office and GNOME Office.
3. The companies involved in this announcement are going to
make GNOME better and devote programming resources to make
How each company involved in the announcement will
5. GNOME technologies will become the standard platform for
developing internet devices, embedded systems "dot com"
devices, desktop systems, SOHO etc.
I know this is a large stretch, but this is a press
1. The Sun backup is the largest backup on such a large
project as GNOME ever seen before: the adoption of GNOME
for Solaris; The release of OpenOffice, with their team
working in the port to Gtk+ and Bonobo and the integration
with Evolution and Nautilus in a total desktop solution is
2. We need to make the most out of this press conference: the
companies that are commiting their resources for this
shared platform (the 4 above) and the companies joining in
an advisory position are a pretty amazing list of
companies, and we want to make sure that people realize the
importance of this event.
3. This is a big chance that GNOME has to become the standard,
so again, we want to make sure that we do everything
possible to make the biggest impact.
I just got off the phone and we think that we can make this totally
awesome. The idea is basically that the various players that are
going to deliver the pieces to this unified platform would speak on
stage about how this is so revolutionary etc etc, which is a different
format than the one we had before, in which every company will get to
talk for 3 minutes about their involvement.
I believe that focusing more on the Big News is important for this
] [Thread Prev