Re: [fdn-ann] Re: GNOME MEDIA ADVISORY seems to be going beyond original plans

jg@pa.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:

> I find I'm not on the foundation-announcement list: Alanna forwarded
> this to me.  Would someone please fix?
>
> Strong comments below...

Jim,

Thanks for your comments, let me see if I can respond to some.

Jim,

Our plan before Miguel's proposal was to use delicate language which
would indicate we want to work towards integrating the office suites,
without promising anything substantive (since we cannot, until the
code is released and Sun shows how well they can work with the
community). There is a delicately balanced consensus around that
language in the community, and we have gotten some people on board
only by agreeing not to make stronger promises. I hope a vague promise
will be acceptable to you, and to Compaq.

> > > 	3. GNOME Foundation adopts Mozilla/Netscape
> > > 		Marco will work on getting a spokeperson from AOL for
> > > 		this.
> >
> > Hmmm, I wonder if AOL or mozilla.org could be convinced to join the
> > GNOME Foundation then.
>
> I have much less problem with Mozilla/Netscape: the code is out there,
> and it is clearly an open source project at this date.  But again,
> I wonder if there is rough consensus in the Gnome project about mozilla.
> That is for other's to judge, though.

I think the Mozilla project has been getting some bad PR lately, and
mentioning it now might reflect badly on GNOME. I think we should
mention Mozilla only if we can get AOL to make some kind of new
commitment.

> But even leaving this aside, things are getting close to this announcement,
> and I'm getting nervous about the scope changing: we don't want companies
> to find at the last minute they must withdraw, and the resulting furor
> that might result.  It is certainly making ME nervous.
>
> Lets not let mission creep spoil this party....  We are stronger together
> than disunited.  We've got most of the industry on board, and that is
> worth alot.

You make a very good point here.

> > > 	4. The companies involved in this announcement are going to
> > >            make GNOME better and devote programming resources to make
> > >            this happen.
> > >
> > > 		How each company involved in the announcement will
> > > 		help this.
> > >
> > > 	5. GNOME technologies are the platform of choice for internet
> > >            devices, embedded systems "dot com" devices, desktop
> > >            systems, SOHO etc.
> >
> > This sounds like quite an exaggeration at this point, to say we are
> > the "platform of choice" for these things. Hopefully soon it won't be.
> >
> >  - Maciej
>
> I don't think hyperbole helps us here, so I again agree with Maciej.

We should strive for the right balance on this, so we sound exciting
without sounding like we're blowing things way out of proportion.

 - Maciej