Board of Directors Elections 2016 - Candidacy - Nuritzi Sanchez

Name: Nuritzi Sanchez Email: nuritzi gnome org Affiliation: Endless

Hi Foundation Members,

I'm announcing my candidacy for the Board of Directors.

Who is Nuritzi? I started using GNOME four years ago through my work at Endless, a company that is deploying the GNOME stack in a computer designed for emerging markets. I'm passionate about creating social impact through technology, and so I was immediately drawn to the free and open source world once introduced to it. I was impressed by how many cool FOSS projects there are, and I immediately began thinking of ideas for how we can make them even better and more accessible.

Once I started meeting the people of GNOME, I knew that I wanted to be a part of the community; however, I wasn't sure how to contribute as a non-developer and non-designer. I finally became an active contributor last GUADEC, because of the BoF sessions, and I've been addicted ever since. I'm very eager to help make it easier for new people to contribute to GNOME, and helping to ensure that GNOME keeps growing better and more vibrant each year. I think that we can be an even greater model for how to structure a community that's inclusive, friendly and efficient, and that we can influence the FOSS community as a whole to follow suit.

What does Nuritzi do at GNOME? I am one of the core members of the Engagement team and I believe I can lend immediate value to the Board with my strong organization and communication skills. I like working with diverse personalities and get excited about things like building infrastructure to scale. I've been the first employee at two startups now, including Endless, where I currently work, and that's taught me to be creative, flexible, and very hard-working. I've also been told that I can herd my fair share of cats. ;)

Here are some things that I've helped accomplish as part of the Engagement team this past year:

  • Established regular Engagement team meetings
  • Started a GNOME SF meetup group
  • Helped with the final push for the 2014 Annual Report
  • Led GNOME social media strategy and created regular planning sessions, resulting in more active social media channels and the Getting to Know GNOME Engagement team blog with contributions from new Engagement team members

When elected to the Board, here's how I could start contributing:

  • Leverage the Engagement team to help accomplish the Board's objectives
  • Establish more good practices around the transparency of the Board
  • Ensure that the Board's meetings are efficient, productive, and focused
  • Help make the Board more proactive in participating with the larger GNOME community and improving internal communications

I welcome any questions.

Best,
Nuritzi

Nuritzi Sanchez  |  +1.650.218.7388 |  Endless