GNOME Foundation Board candidacy: Tobias Mueller

Name: Tobias Mueller
EMail: tobiasmue gnome org
Affiliation: None
now. I mainly worked in the Bugsquad and the Membership Committee.
Now, I want to do something new and help making GNOME a successful Free
Software project.
I have experience with working with people, i.e. by organising events
like a GNOME party, various booths at conferences or by hosting a
(mid-size) conference at our university.
I want to improve the Bylaws and the visibility of Teams within GNOME.

Dear Foundation,

I am sticking around GNOME for about 5 years now and while I enjoy being
in the community I do want to progress within GNOME and take new
responsibilities.

For the last years, I was active in the Bugsquad, Membership and
Elections Committee as well as helping GNOME to be represented at
various events like FOSDEM. I did enjoy my work and I still do. However,
I want to take up on something new and challenge myself with new duties.

I am that type of person that corrects others when they say "open
source" when they really mean Free Software. I very much like the idea
of Free Software and I do believe that not having the freedoms
guaranteed is bad. I also strongly believe that the freedoms GNOME
provides are a great asset that we can be very proud of.

While I don't have a concrete agenda, I do have issues that I want to
see resolved. Most urgently, I see that the Bylaws need improvement.
There are a lot of minor changes, i.e. typos and wrong references, to be
made as well as big ones, i.e. how the election process is supposed to
work. I sent comments to two boards starting over a year ago and I want
to help resolving issues around our fundamental rules.

Another field which I intend to work on are Teams within GNOME. I very
much like the decentralized approach we take and I think we can make
improvements on the visibility of the teams and their results, i.e. by
making it more rewarding for both, the writers and the consumers, of the
Quarterly Reports.

Admittedly, I don't believe that a position in the board is really
necessary to achieve these things. But it certainly is helpful.

The reason why I sent my proposal rather late is, that I was (and
actually still am) busy, besides my real life, preparing things for
LinuxTag where we will have a GNOME booth. This, and the fact that I'll
be attending GNOME.Asia, is the reason why I won't be available with all
my brain power to answer questions on this list.

Thanks,
  Tobi