Re: OT Writing an Article about F-Spot

On 05/21/2013 09:22 PM, Sven Utcke wrote:
I'll go ahead with the questions:
1.) Why and when was F-Spot created ?
When is simple enough; the first code repo tag was created on @
2003-11-08 06:52:57 (GMT)
Although it is of course possible that some of the code might have
existed before, and that this is simply the date some (new?) version
control paradigm was used.

About that: the webarchive seem to indicate that the first version ever of F-spot, v0.0.01, is from august 2004

http://web.archive.org/web/20070113090050/http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/f-spot/0.0/

So having an initial code repo tag in November 2011 is possible, and could be the original one...

  Was it the first FOSS photo management application ?
No clue, I *VERY* much doubt it.  I'd wager the "first FOSS photo
management application" is long forgotten, and was probably circa
the 1980s.  This is not a new category of applications.
Wikipedia claims:

   The first digital camera that was actually marketed commercially was
   sold in December of 1989 in Japan, the DS-X by Fuji

So before that, and probably for some years after, there would not
have been much need for a "photo management application".  Even xv
only dates back to the early 1990s.  And that's an early image viewer
and sort of rather crude editor, with hardly any decent management
functionality.

Sven

--
Nguyen Matthieu - matthieu nguyen 2004 enseirb-matmeca fr
ingénieur ENSEIRB Informatique option Génie Logiciel