Re: OT Writing an Article about F-Spot

On Sat, 2013-05-18 at 19:03 +0530, Music Man wrote:
Thanks !
I'll go ahead with the questions:
1.) Why and when was F-Spot created ?

When is simple enough; the first code repo tag was created on @
2003-11-08 06:52:57 (GMT)

Why?  I'd guess because the world needed a better photo management app.

 Was it the first FOSS photo management application ?

No clue,  I *VERY* much doubt it.  I'd wager the "first FOSS photo
management application" is long forgotten, and was probably circa the
1980s.  This is not a new category of applications.

2.) Do you regard Shotwell and digiKam as competitors or collaborators

I know nothing about digiKam.  Shotwell *I* feel is a competitor; but
that's just me, and I do not speak for "F-Spot".   If someone is a
collaborator or competitor depends mostly on the attitude of the
project's developers.  [aside: A project that is started because someone
feels that clearly-every-one-else-misses-the-point isn't going to be
much of a collaborator for anybody]  Although Shotwell is a perfectly
fine app, the downside of Shotwell for me is that F-Spot has a more
robust tagging scheme.

 (considering these projects are all part of the large FOSS family) ?
Are you worried that Shotwell replaced F-Spot as the default photo
organizer in Ubuntu ?

That's just Ubuntu;  people make a MUCH too big deal about Ubuntu.
Ubuntu may get downloaded the most, or installed the most,.... but is it
*USED* the most?  You know... by people who actually DO stuff.  I doubt
it.

Thanks once again for agreeing to answer my questions. I really
appreciate it, it adds an extra dimension to the article.

Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383