Re: f-spot future

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:16 AM,  <kenneth westelinck telenet be> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've been using f-spot since I bought a digital camera, back in 2006, and I am very pleased with it. Unfortunately the latest version dates from 2010 (and there is also this thread: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/f-spot-list/2011-September/msg00015.html), so I am wondering. Are there currently developers working on bugs / new features. Do you guys have some kind of roadmap containing new stuff that will be added / bugs that will be solved.
> I already tried to use digikam and migrate the f-spot db to something digikam understands, but somehow, it doesn't feel right :)
> I still like f-spot very much, and I am wondering if it will still be available in the future.
>

> regards,
>
> Kenneth

I'm still very much planning on working on f-spot.  I'm mostly
focusing on bugs, crashers, and updating the code base right now.
Well, at least as time permits while I finish up my last semester.

So, for now I'm not as likely to be getting new features in, but
instead stabilizing it some more.  One of the things I'm trying to
spend time on is unit tests to help figure out the functionality and
also so I don't break stuff accidentally :)

As for a roadmap, I don't have anything concrete, but some of the
things that I'd like to do is update to gtk#3 which might be getting a
release (probably beta) in the next few weeks.  Also, shana has been
doing some great work on a binding tool.  Once that's finished I'm
hoping that we'll have regularly updated gnome libraries, including
the gstreamer-1.0 stuff.  If that's in I'd like to explore other
multimedia features.  Something else I'd really like to look into is
porting f-spot over to mac and windows so that we can widen our user
base and contributors.

Something else I'd like to do is create a minor on github so that its
easier for people to contribute through pull requests.

Cheers,
Stephen