Why Shotwell?

Hi,

I've been reading recently that Shotwell is going to be the new default photo management tool for Ubuntu (and maybe even in Gnome). I'm an avid F-Spot user but installed Shotwell just to check it out. I can not see any reason why this should replace F-Spot, and when I read about Shotwell as the "future if Linux photo management" there's never anything about why it's should be the future. What is it that F-Spot supposedly is missing making Shotwell a better option? I'm not an applications developer, so I if it's something under the hood justifying this change I would not see it. As for functionality I find F-Spot alone to be a reason for using Gnome over KDE. There's nothing like it one Linux as far as I can see. I'm also worrying that if this change happens F-Spot is going to be left by the wayside. Please do not make that happen.

--
//ceed