Re: critical missing feature: embedding tags in EXIF/IPTC

Mike Gemünde-2 wrote:

> Am Sonntag, den 29.08.2010, 10:00 -0700 schrieb Piergi:
>
>> 2: somehow the XMP from f-spot was producing an error (XMP error 102),
>> but
>> not all of the times, and I have not been able to reproduce that.
>> Sometimes
>> I get the error, sometimes I don't. The details in this other thread:
>> http://old.nabble.com/XMP-Toolkit-error-102-td29049391.html
>
> Have you tried it with one of the new development versions of f-spot
> which uses taglib-sharp for writing metadata? (If you try it, the

I did not do a complete test with several images, but I will in the future.
For now I am not using the 07 series because of the lack of exiflow support
in geeqie, and it doesn't.

Mike Gemünde-2 wrote:

>> with exiftool ($ exiftool -overwrite_original -tagsfromfile
>> 20100827-c102535-pt000.jpg -all:all 20100827-c102535-pt100.jpg), making
>> sure
>> it copies *all* the metadata to *all* the fields (the «-all:all» flag,
>> since
>> they have a bizarre priority EXIF->IPTC->XMP, check the man page).
>
> you know the -use mwg option?

No, I didn't now (the relative paragraph in the man page is obscure). I do
know it now though, I just checked the man of «Image::ExifTool::MWG»,
although it just says something about warnings when extracting tags from
non-standard locations, not sure it does what I want (i.e. using XMP tags
rather than--or in addition to--IPTC).

Mike Gemünde-2 wrote:

> Ok, at the end, filesystem and naming of files is another topic. I'm
> just going to cover editing of basic photo metadata. So, I'm interested
> in the exact metadata fields you are writing. Can you give me a list of
> them (or a sample file, where I can extract the fields....)

Here you have the config file I use for the tagging:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p29580152/exif.cfg exif.cfg

The tags are more or less the ones Digikam writes for the copyright and
author, plus the ones suggested by the guys of exiflow.

Here you have an image tagged with this system for author and copyright,
then with geeqie for regular tags plus title and description and later
imported in f-spot:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p29580152/20100828-c102540-pt000.jpg
20100828-c102540-pt000.jpg
guess it reads «user comment». The exiflow extension merges the existing
comments and writes a multi-line comment, but I never tried it).

«image description») four times(!).

It'd be nice to have f-spot tagging automatically all the same-name or
equivalent fields (I am sincerely getting lost into this jungle, I am not
sure of the exact purpose of the many many existing fields), or to have a
panel where one can manually check the fields to write (but the huge number
of fields makes this last one not practical).

-----
--
Web: http://traversin.org/
GNU/Linux user 190604