Re: critical missing feature: embedding tags in EXIF/IPTC

Hi Piergi and all others,

Am Samstag, den 28.08.2010, 18:59 -0700 schrieb Piergi:

> I am not a f-spot developer, but I reckon the reason for that is pretty
> simple: the IPTC standard is a fairly rigid one (and does not support
> Unicode, AFAIK), and it seems to me more and more applications are
> supporting the more flexible XMP standard (including DigiKam).

IPTC supports different encodings. But the problems with standardization
is that everyone uses its own incarnation of it. So, a lot off
applications ignore the encoding other assume just ASCII or whatever.
So, it is a mess. Nevermind, IPTC can be stored in xmp and IMHO that is
the way we should go.

> Myself I use a different approach: I do tagging and commenting with geeqie
> ($ sudo aptitude install geeqie), then I add copyright and stuff with
> exiperson (http://exiflow.sourceforge.net)--a perl script that uses
> exiftool--and after that I import everything in f-spot.

Interesting. I'm currently working on a GUI (for f-spot) for editing
some basic metadata of images. This includes e.g. the Author/Creator,
Title, Comment (, Copyright?). I'm also thinking about to have some
presets for different persons. So it would be nice, if you can explain
your use case of setting metadata to me.

Regards,
Mike