Re: Massive, massive, massive memory leak

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 11:27 +1100, Dan wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:46:35 +0000, Tom Wright
> <tom tdw googlemail com> wrote:
>
>         Um,
>
>         I don't know all of the background of this issue but surely a
>         better option would just be to fix libexif?
>

> As mentioned in my original email, I'm willing to look into the
> problem, including libexif - *if* that is where the problem is. I
> haven't had anyone reply yet with a 'yes, this is most certainly in
> libexif'. My C skills are quite protozaic. I've already tried running
> f-spot in valgrind, and it blew up immediately. I assume I'd have to
> write a simple test app in C, and run that in valgrind. While this in
> itself isn't outside my capabilities, actually finding the problem
> might be. Also I have extremely little free time these days - I have a
> 16-month-old, who takes up all my free time.
>
> And all the while, f-spot is still unusable. Pointing upstream doesn't
> help end-users. In cases where there are long-standing upstream bugs
> with no resolution in sight, it is perfectly valid to implement a
> work-around. Or maybe market f-spot along the lines of "manage tens of
> photos at once" :)

Libexif (and the other metadata dependencies we currently have) will be
dropped: http://weblog.savanne.be/183-photo-support-for-taglib

We're going to switch to the fully managed Taglib# once it's ready,
which should eliminate at least that part of the leaking.

More eyes on this is always welcome, we tend to lose memory in quite a
few places, some very non-trivial.

   Ruben