Re: Massive, massive, massive memory leak

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:46:35 +0000, Tom Wright <tom tdw googlemail com> wrote:

Um,

I don't know all of the background of this issue but surely a better option would just be to fix libexif?

As mentioned in my original email, I'm willing to look into the problem, including libexif - *if* that is where the problem is. I haven't had anyone reply yet with a 'yes, this is most certainly in libexif'. My C skills are quite protozaic. I've already tried running f-spot in valgrind, and it blew up immediately. I assume I'd have to write a simple test app in C, and run that in valgrind. While this in itself isn't outside my capabilities, actually finding the problem might be. Also I have extremely little free time these days - I have a 16-month-old, who takes up all my free time.

And all the while, f-spot is still unusable. Pointing upstream doesn't help end-users. In cases where there are long-standing upstream bugs with no resolution in sight, it is perfectly valid to implement a work-around. Or maybe market f-spot along the lines of "manage tens of photos at once" :)

Dan