preloading of images

I've just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.10 with hope that f-spot 0.6.x works more faster, but IMHO it still opens images (especially > 12Mpix) too long. I think it's very important for 99% of users to be able to open the next/previous image as quickly as possible (currently it takes about 1-1.5 sec on my core 2 duo laptop).

Also I've installed Picasa 3.5 under Wine and it works 3 times faster! How that could happen? Maybe it's time to think about preloading/preprocessing/caching of images?

--
Sergiy Zuban