Re: The timestamp thing

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 21:34 +0100, Aurélien Naldi wrote:

> A while ago, I had a look at a branch for this. The patch was pretty
> straightforward: remove all calls to the function responsible with
> timestamp shifts.
> If this branch has not yet been ported to the latest version, I hope
> it is still simple enough to do it again.

I may look at the existing patch myself, if it's fairly straightforward
perhaps I can make some progress, although I'm not a C# coder, and
barely even a C coder ;)

> While someone else raise this concern again, I would like to re-ask
> wether there is a chance for upstream f-spot to make it easier for the
> people willing to keep their timestamps sane without loosing tags.
>
> A simple function, performing or not the timestamp shift depending on
> an hidden gconf key would for example be lovely. It would be even
> better if it could depend on the status of a checkbox in the import
> dialog.
I'd like this implemented as well.

> Indeed, even if the current behaviour is a feature, it can not
> possibly be right to shift timestamps each time a picture is imported
> (I happened to drop my f-spot DB several times to test tag imports and
> other new features in the past...)
I've heard it argued that since you check the "Store metadata in the
file" box, you're indicating that you want F-Spot to alter your
metadata. However, my take on this is that a distinction should be made
here:

My intention, in telling F-Spot to store metadata in the files, is
something along the lines of "Yes, please store the changes *I make* to
the metadata (tags, *Manually adjusted* timestamps, etc) into the files.

It was never my intention, as a user, to have F-Spot *automatically*
adjust any metadata. I very much think that a separate and distinct
permission should be granted for F-Spot to automatically adjust
timestamps.

I'm not sure how the developers feel on the issue, but to me it seems
quite clear that there is a difference between writing user-initiated
changes to the files, and automatically altering the files.

> If such a patch has a chance to be accepted, I am willing to help with
> the code, unless a better solution is in the work?
>
> Best regards.

Thanks for your input on this. It doesn't directly answer my questions,
but it does bring up some good points.

Regards,

--
Steve McGrath