Re: what happens when I rotate a photo ?

Sorry. I originally replied incorrectly and sent this only to Sébastien.

F-Spot DOES alter files. As for your rotation question, I think it
changes the EXIF, but I'm not certain. However, I no longer count
myself as an F-Spot user, because I discovered it was significantly
altering the EXIF data on my photos upon importing them.

F-Spot:
a) Adds "f-spot" to the software field, as though you've used it to
edit the photo
b) Resets the date/time to GMT if you have a world time camera
c) Screws up the pointer to the user comment field.

I have still not found an automated way to fix the 6000 photos I have
that were screwed up by F-spot. Exiftool won't change the dates
because of the misplaced pointer, and the autofix option doesn't fix
it.

Joe

P.S. Correction: This only occurs if you have the "write metadata to
file" box checked in prefs.