Re: Refresh thumbnails: Request for Help

To contribute to an old thread (I'm digging through my postponed-msgs):

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007, Christoph Moench-Tegeder wrote:

## Asheesh Laroia (asheesh asheesh org):

That's not possible (at least, not the way you did it). F-spot
references all files by their full paths (there is no easy other,
as perhaps by filename only; some cameras wrap their filenames after
1000 images, some people use multiple cameras using the same naming
scheme, and so on).
inode numbers might be useful as an alternative (as well as obviously useful
for finding duplicates that are hard links of each other or duplicates that
result from symlink weirdness).

Sounds good, but there are some problems: restoring from backup, or
moving the photos to a larger disk. It might help for finding hardlinked
duplicated, but then an "normal user" would not mess with hardlinks in
his photo collection. So it's perhaps only symlinked directorys, but
that's wht realpath(3) is for and does not require extra care in case
of cross-device symlinks.

That's true - inodes are only probably useful if your user ran some duplicate-file-joining tool.

Really, I just wish that the filesystem
contained a mapping of sha1_hash=>filename so that F-spot could just ask,
"Hey, where'd the file with sha1_hash xxx go?" and get a proper answer.

Even that requires extra care in case you have multiple copies of
a file.

Presumably you'd get a list of files back from the filesystem / indexing tool.

Imagine this case:

A user moves a file but doesn't tell a program. The program can't find the file, and the user doesn't know how to tell the program to update its big long list of where its data have moved to.

That's pretty normal.

In fact, that's the case that this thread is about. (-:

For now, I believe that the filename in combination with the "Photos"
folder is the best solution to that problem. Just tell the user, he
should always ket the application copy the photos for him and he
should not mess with his "Photos" folder. Anything else, and he is
on his own.

Right, sure - my problem is I have so many half-finished imports, or I import photos but F-spot doesn't delete them from the source, and later I back up my memory card to some random directory because someone needs to borrow an SD card....

I look forward to trying the

Of course you could try sucking all images into a huge database,
but such a database could be somewhat slow, and in addition you will
be really screwed if your database gets damaged (a simple directory
is much more easily recovered).

Sure - what would be nice would be an index of these hashes of the JPEG photo data. That doesn't change even when the EXIF data does, and lets me track

In fact, F-spot could store that in its index, and then if I import the same photo there could be a button that says "Merge with the duplicate that's already here?" and then it would happily accept the same photo a second time and just merge any extra metadata into the copy in my F-spot.

-- Asheesh.

--
If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for tomorrow
morning, sleep late.