Re: Time Zone.

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 08:56 +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
> Pat Suwalski, 2008-04-28 17:36:43 -0400 :
>
> > Now you see why f-spot should not be handling timezones? There are a
> > million scenarios to handle. Without timezone handling, f-spot could
> > just show the date as it appears in the photo and save a lot of
> > headache.
>
> If you only want to display a date, then fine.  But remember we're
> talking about a computer program here, which we have come to expect to
> do smart things like sort according to dates, or filter according to a
> date range, or that kind of stuff.  You just can't do these things
> reliably with just a string without TZ info.  For instance, a picture
> shot at "2008:10:26 03:15:00" may actually bave been shot before
> another one known to EXIF as "2008:10:26 02:45:00" (end of DST in
> Western Europe).

But f-spot probably shouldn't change the local times in the photos. When
you reimport f-spot photos (for whatever reason), the dates get shifted
repeatedly.

However, it's possible to abuse the GPSTimeStamp EXIF tag to store a UTC
time, according to: http://www.cpanforum.com/threads/4790

f-spot could check for that tag on import and use it if present, or
create it (based on the computer's timezone) if not. Ugly, no? :)

--
Tim Retout <tim retout co uk>