Re: Time Zone.

Nyall wrote:
But it is not clear to me yet, how f-spot is currently determining the
UTC time or timezone the picture was taken at.
And this is the problem. It doesn't, but it shifts all of the photos relative to the importing computer's distance from UTC.

So to get the date/time in f-spot to match the time the event was taken,
I need to set (and leave) my camera at UTC time? (No big deal if so)

Nope. As soon as you import into your computer, it will be offset by (-1)(UTCOffset) on your computer. So, that's why in the original eMail I said my workaround was to run f-spot itself in the UTC timezone.

What about when you change the date/time within f-spot? Should I first
change my PCs timezone to UTC, then do the changes? Or should I leave my
PCs settings in the local zone, and calculate the UTC time for the
photo, and use that in the f-spot dialog?

Neither of those will work. When I felt the need to unmangle the timezone alterations by f-spot, I deleted the f-spot database, wrote a shell script that used exiftime to copy one of the original dates back to where it belongs, and then reimported into f-spot with TZ=UTC.

Now you see why f-spot should not be handling timezones? There are a million scenarios to handle. Without timezone handling, f-spot could just show the date as it appears in the photo and save a lot of headache.

--Pat