Re: Time Zone.

Stephane Delcroix wrote:
1)current situation, no proper tz support:
all dates are transformed to utc, ensuring that a picture from Paris at
11.59pm is ordered before one from NY at 11.45pm. But the date displayed
for both images are either a bit wrong (none of them being at the right
local time) and dependent on your machine tz

You're assuming I changed my time in my camera. I'm pretty sure practically no one does this.

2)no tz support, treat all pictures as local time
some pictures from NY will be shown before the one from Paris

This is also assuming I don't have my laptop with me, where the time also hasn't been changed, and that I haven't imported the photos while on the long boring plane flight. This is normally when I dump my photos.

However, neither my laptop nor my camera are in "local" time, but they are set to the same timezone. But if we don't touch the timestamp, it doesn't matter.

3)proper tz support
-pictures are ordered using the converted time to utc
-real local time (of the picture) is stored, so the fireworks images
will be from 12.00, whatever the location

So, now I have to make sure that my camera stores both the time and the UTC offset (which my camera does not do). Otherwise, when I go on a trip, I have to change both my camera and my laptop, or specify a UTC offset when I import "photo rolls".

I think that's pretty steep for Joe Sixpack. I'm pretty sure that if you ask someone on the street "what UTC offset are we at" they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

I still propose that all timezone operations are simply removed. Extending your example, my Paris photos would be at 16:59-ish. Then my local fireworks would be at 11:59-ish. The order is preserved. I know the photos are from Paris, a time offset is expected. If I'm watching a soccer game from France, it's never at a convenient time anyway.

Anyone else have an opinion here?

--Pat