Re: rgb -> hsv and back

The interactive color adjustment dialog does a lot of this sort of
transform but it does it via an adjustment profile that it creates on
the fly.  It may be hard to follow the code because we use lcms and the
actual image color profile to convert to luminance space, adjust, then
convert back again in single pass. That code could be adapted to convert
to a colorspace of your choosing which could then be used collect the
statistics you want to create an adjustment back to rgb.

If you would like try that direction I can help walk you through the
darker corners of the code.  Otherwise as Stephane points our there
isn't much existing infrastructure to help you out at the moment.

--Larry