network photo management: with F-spot ?

Hi Everyone!

I do like using F-Spot and would like to congratulate the developers!
However, I'm looking for an improved photo management solution. I ask
myself if it would be possible with F-spot or by improving F-spot.

I have a home network with several computers (laptops and desktops)
connected to a server (NFS, Apache, etc.). Currently, every computer is
using F-spot separately and photos are "randomly" distributed between
the computers. Every computer separately backups important files on the
server.

What I am looking for is a kind of "server version" of F-spot. All the
photos would be stored on the server. And F-Spot would act like a
client. But laptops should be able to keep photos locally. So that if
someone travels outside the network, he would be able to keep some
photos. The default importing folder should be on the server but an
option would permits to store photos also locally. If photos are
imported when the computer isn't connected to that network, photos
should be stored locally and when the computer is reconnected to the
network those photos should be automatically sent to the server. There
would be global tags (stored on the server) and local tags (stored in
the "client version" of F-Spot).

Do you understand what I'm looking for? Doess anyone have the same needs
as I do? Would it be realizable with F-Spot and NFS ? Should the code of
F-Spot be strongly modified? Am I searching the wrong place?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Regards,

Antoine Pairet