Re: How does the f-spot/gnome community feel about bug/feature bounties?

Yeah, I'll have to look into that.  I just don't think that it needs to be so technical.  I think that first I need to make sure that there is not an authority with a valid opposition.  Next I state very clearly what I'm looking for and what it is worth to me.  Hopefully others will agree and ante-up.  Who ever decides to take it on should state they are taking it on.  If they complete the task we pay out, or discuss it in the open.  If multiple people contribute code, they discuss how to divvy the bounty in the open.  This is a community.  If a couple of guys is my community help me push my car to a gas station, you can bet I'd be buying them beers all night.  If they start turning to Gold Schlager, we my have to re-negotiate.  But we'd do it in the open an be willing to live with the reputation we earn.  I don't see Open Source communities as being any different.

On 6/19/07, Colin Marquardt <colin marquardt-home de> wrote:
"Michael Wayne Goodman" <goodman m w gmail com> writes:

[Bounties]

> Someone would have to manage the money, and there would need to be
> some way of distributing it.  I suppose we could use paypal, google
> checkout, or something like that.  People who want to see a certain
> feature can donate some money toward the feature, so the more
> popular/needed ones get weightier.

There seems to be infrastructure set up for that at e.g.
https://launchpad.net/bounties/, but I don't know how it works.

Cheers