Re: Excessive memory use

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 11:54 +0200, Gari Araolaza wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having memory problems in f-spot (0.3.5-0ubuntu2 in Ubuntu Feisty)
> since this week.  I have a 2GB machine and a 4000 pictures db (quite
> small files in general, less than 1Mb).  When I start f-spot it starts
> consuming above 1GB, and trying to import some new files end up with
> out-of-memory errors.
>
> - Is that a normal memory consumption rate?
No, it's not normal, its a bug. Some bugs causing memory leaks were
already fixed in trunk but some others may exists. If you have any
usefull informations on how to find that bug, we'll take that. Are you
using Canon Raw files ?

> - Is there any way to reduce the memory used? (reducing size of
> thumbnails , or limiting pictures within a given time frame...)
F-Spot only keeps the thumbnails it needs in memory. Reducing the size
won't help a lot. Reducing the picture range is neither a solution. 4000
pictures is totally ok. Some users deals with 30.000 photos or so...

> - Any solution?
hope so, maybe it's already fixed in trunk...