Re: import versus export question

This is not a performance issue.  It is a tool use issue.  The later I
can delay an action, the more choices I have.

By saving my metadata in the sqlite database, I can have as much or as
little metadata as I want.  When I need to export a set of images I can
choose which metadata I want to include.  I may be selling my images and
assigning the copyright to another group.  I may want a special watermark.
I may want to remove all metadata and just have bare images.  The point
is, my needs change as the task changes.  Hopefully F-spot will grow to
have the flexibility to support a rich working environment.

One issue with this discussion is the definition of metadata.  The name
and x-y size of a jpeg image is real data.  Almost everything else
is metadata.  I include tags as metadata.  Applications often make
simplifying assumptions for you to make the user experience easy.  I would
like an export option in f-spot that said customize export metadata.

Thank you,

Steve Herber	herber thing com		work: 206-221-7262
Security Engineer, UW Medicine, IT Services	home: 425-454-2399