Re: Setting up a web photo gallery

On Jan 29, 2007, at 1:26 PM, Tim Millard wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-29 at 15:13 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Thanks for your advice.
But could you be a bit more explicit, please?
Must one run Gallery as a daemon on the web-server?
Is Flickr an alternative to Gallery?

Flickr is a photo sharing website owned by Yahoo! To use the service,
you need a Yahoo ID/account. http://flickr.com/

I know little about Gallery. I think it works as a module with the
Apache webserver (which runs as a daemon). The site is
http://gallery.menalto.com/ but was down when I just checked.

Flickr is easier to work with, but Gallery gives you a lot more control
of how things look.

The Gallery website should be up. I just checked to make sure. We have load problems sometimes but usually if you wait long enough it eventually shows up.

Gallery is a PHP program that runs with PHP and needs a database program running (typically MySQL). If you have a server or a hosting plan with PHP and MySQL, Gallery is pretty easy to install and get running. There is a lot more information out there and

http://codex.gallery2.org/index.php/Gallery2:About

may be a good place to start. Feel free to ask on the gallery- devel lists sf net mailing list if you have more detailed questions!

-Chris
Gallery Project Manager

--
Chris Kelly