Re: F-Spot slow when scrolling 8000+ pictures

The thumbnails are shared between F-Spot, Nautilus and other GNOME apps
that make use of GnomeThumbnailFactory.

I think the reason that PNG is used by GNOME is because the pixbuf loader can
handle the saving/restoration of metadata associated with a PNG image.
I'm almost sure that the JPG pixbuf loader doesn't let you fish out any
metdata from a JPG file.

F-Spot, at a more than quick glance, seems to use the thumbnail metadata for
some purpose.  GnomeThumbnailFactory itself uses the metadata to make
sure the thumbnail actually corresponds to the correct image by checking
mtime and uri.

george