Re: F-Spot slow when scrolling 8000+ pictures

On 11/01/07, Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:
George Talusan wrote:
> I saw this too after I erased my ~/.thumbnails directory -- it was large
> at 6GB.  After erasing it, F-Spot, I think, tried regenerating
> thumbnails for all of my 50,000 pictures.  It took a long time and I
> think it stalled a few times.  I had to restart the application before it got to
> the point where the slowness went away.

50K files in a directory (.thumbnails/normal) is very heavy duty....
even on Linux.

Argh! Who implemented this? One single folder with lots of file will
be slow on almost all filesystems. It needs to either be partitioned
or to store thumbnails in the DB.

And another thing - why the hell are the thumbnails in PNG???? Just
taking such thumbnail and resaving it as 50% quality JPEG reduces the
size tenfold. I can be that it also improves the speed too.

Can we, please fix that? ANd along the way, can we make Gnome people
fix nautilus too?

--
Best regards,
   Aigars Mahinovs        mailto:aigarius debian org