Re: Show all tags in Albums? (Was: Terminology)

This is possibly more relevant to terminology discussion, but I think a
lot of the problems we are having with terminology stem from the fact
that different people have a different ideas on what they expect a XXX
to be.

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 10:47 +0200, Marcus Hast wrote:
> On 9/19/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen gmail com> wrote:
> > Also, if the default is to show all the tags, then what is the
> > difference between tags and albums? The whole album effect could be
> > gotten by creating a top-level tag called Albums and adding tags under
> > it, each an album.
>
> The pictures belonging to an Album are ordered, pictures belonging to
> a tag are not.

As I see it a picture belongs to an album and a tag belongs to a
picture, not the other way round. I think this distinction is
fundamental. A tag is just an arbitrary piece of meta data, an album is
some kind of container.

> Personally I think it would be a good idea if more meta information
> could be added to an Album as well. Eg a description of the album and
> things like that.
>
> It could be implemented similarly to a tag however.
>
> /Marcus

I like the idea of having further information about an album, and I
really see the benefit of having it as an ordered collection (it took me
some thinking). If we go down the line of meta data about albums then
why can't we tag them? (I'm not sure if it is a good idea as yet just
putting it out there) I've seen people discussing using tags to mark
photos for export, and I seem to remember that this sort of thing was
frowned upon by Larry when done automatically (that could be me getting
the wrong end of the stick).

For this is it worth having a second class of tag called a flag? The
idea being that flags can be added to a photo but are not visible as
tags, they would not appear in the list or with the photos. I'm thinking
of things like an export flag, say "Exported to <gallery> on <server>.
<date>"

Sam

--
Sam Barker <sam quadrocket co uk>