Show all tags in Albums? (Was: Terminology)

On 19/09/06, Thomas PARIS <mercen mercen org> wrote:
On Sat Sep 16 at 14:54 (-0400), Warren Baird wrote:
> I think the default behaviour should be to show all the tags.   I think
> a lot of people will use drag 'n drop to tag new photos.   Imagine the
> following.
>
> I import 50 new photos into a new album.  I want to now apply tags to
> these photos, but since they are all new photos and it's a new album -
> there are *no* tags showing.    To a naive user, this would be very
> confusing.   I definitely think advanced users should have a way to
> eliminate tags that aren't used in the album - but it shouldn't be the
> default...

I cast my vote for a default of not showing unused tags. But that's
because I see albums as something used *after* importing and tagging.

The way I see it, you import pictures then tag them and finally put them
into albums. The default view in f-spot would show all your pictures and
you could ask it to show only the pictures from one album. Of course
your pictures are still in the list of all your pictures so that adding
them to an album does not mean you can't change their tags. It only
means you can do it only in the default view (or optionnally in the
album view after enabling the "show all tags" option).

How does it sound?

Heippa,
Thomas "mercen" PARIS, now in Paris ;)

I think like you. The album would be tagged only once. It will be
viewed hundreds of times later.

Also, if the default is to show all the tags, then what is the
difference between tags and albums? The whole album effect could be
gotten by creating a top-level tag called Albums and adding tags under
it, each an album.

As this is a different subject than the Terminology, I'm changing the
Email Subject. Let's keep the threads seperate.

Dotan Cohen