Re: 321770 - Filter on Last 20 Rolls

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 14:51 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 03/10/06, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
> >
> > I was rather referring to Preference dialog option vs. GConf key :)
> >

> I don't see any reason that anything in GConf shouldn't be in
> Preferences as well. Novice users know not to touch things in there
> that they don't understand.

That should read "Novice users SHOULD know not to touch things in there
that they don't understand."  But, the fact of the matter is, they
don't, and for good reason - putting something in front of the user is
the equivalent of saying "Play with Me".  The beauty of GNOME is in it's
simplicity - great strides have been taken to make GNOME more simple
while retaining the power.  Making a GConf key for this seems like the
optimal solution - giving power while maintaining simplicity.

For more information on this topic, you may want to check out Jeff
Waugh's talk on freedom and design vs megapixel.  He gave the talk as a
keynote at FOSDEM and, more recently, at Ohio LinuxFest.  You can find
his FOSDEM talk at:

http://free-electrons.com/pub/video/fosdem2006-jeff-waugh-keynote.ogg

--Patrick