Re: Background and questions

On 3/17/06, Larry Ewing <lewing novell com> wrote:

And in case you were only using the menus you can also drag tags to
photos (or selections of photos) and the other way.  The hidden nature
of the tag entry is something that is all my fault, and I need to fix.
Suggestions are welcome.

As I said, I quite like the UI that KimDaba uses for tagging...  The 't' key seems to work reasonably well - but I find its behaviour a little hard to predict when multiple photos with different tags present are selected.

Yeah fixing this isn't all that difficult, really the ui and how if at
all different dbs should interact are the things holding it back a bit.

Yeah - my suggested patch doesn't look at the interactions between different dbs at all...   It would be *really* nice if you could move photos and all their metadata between dbs.

Unfortunately, I can't think of a decent way to support that right now...   Maybe just through an export/import mechanism...   An export option that dumps out the photos and an xml description of the metadata, and an import option that reads the photos and the xml metadata...

Suggestions on how to do this cleanly are also welcome.  Unfortunately
I've been sitting on a lot of potential ui change lately (as Gabriel
knows).  I really wanted to take some time to actually design some of
the pending ui rather than just go with the first thing that sounds good
but I've had less and less time for that sort of thing lately.

I whole-heartedly support thinking about the UIs...   UI design isn't my strongest forte, but I've got some experience with it.   I'd be interested in doing some work to implement useful UI stuff...

There are some other big UI choices that are coming up soon, Gabriel's
query patch needs to land, the editing interfaces needs a big overhaul,
and the import and export code and ui should be remixed.  How well we do
those things will have a big impact on the feel of f-spot.

I agree...   I'd be happy to contribute to this...

I think most people who care about the various mono apps are running
dapper these days, there has been a lot of change in the platform and it
is difficult to keep up otherwise.

:-)   Yeah - difficult is one word for it...   but I've got things compiling now - finally...

We're in the process of moving right now - so I won't have too much spare time this week --- but hopefully next week I'll have more time to look at the code --- and maybe do more reading on C#.

Warren