Re: Background and questions

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 13:57 -0600, Gabriel Burt wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Warren Baird <photogeekmtl gmail com> wrote:
> > I'm coming from before I start spewing out questions and comments.  Hope the
> > intro isn't out of line...
>
> Not at all, welcome to the community.
>
> >    - tagging - as I mentioned above, it looks kinda annoying to add a lot of
> > tags to a lot of photos.
>
> Since 0.1.4 (we're at 0.1.10 now) there has been a feature (though
> it's hard to find if you don't know about it) where you can press t
> while having photo(s) selected and you can type in/edit the tags.

0.1.11 ;)

And in case you were only using the menus you can also drag tags to
photos (or selections of photos) and the other way.  The hidden nature
of the tag entry is something that is all my fault, and I need to fix.
Suggestions are welcome.

> >    - multiple libraries - I've got a lot of photos, and I tend to keep
> > separate libraries for certain categories of things
>
> There is a enhancement bug request for this.  In the mean time, you
> can get around this limitation by manually moving the database in
> ~/.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db as needed.

Yeah fixing this isn't all that difficult, really the ui and how if at
all different dbs should interact are the things holding it back a bit.
Suggestions on how to do this cleanly are also welcome.  Unfortunately
I've been sitting on a lot of potential ui change lately (as Gabriel
knows).  I really wanted to take some time to actually design some of
the pending ui rather than just go with the first thing that sounds good
but I've had less and less time for that sort of thing lately.

There are some other big UI choices that are coming up soon, Gabriel's
query patch needs to land, the editing interfaces needs a big overhaul,
and the import and export code and ui should be remixed.  How well we do
those things will have a big impact on the feel of f-spot.

> I'm not too sure about installing f-spot from CVS on Hoary.  I looked
> around and didn't find backport or any relevant links for you.

I think most people who care about the various mono apps are running
dapper these days, there has been a lot of change in the platform and it
is difficult to keep up otherwise.

--Larry