Re: Ubuntu and F-Spot

Also the Ubuntu desktop team has discussed shipping f-spot by default. [0]
[0] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2006-July/000773.html

I browsed through that and in the end there are some comments by one
user, Matthew East[1]:
---
1. fspot crashed very early when I started using it. It gave a pretty
good error report so that looks good for bug reporting, but it is only
at version 0.1.11 so I think it is important to look at whether it is
too early in its development to ship it by default. Others will be
better able to look at this than I am.

2. the default view is arranging things by date - that's no good for my
photos which are organised by folder, and lots of them don't have a date
because they are scanned from a non-digital camera or taken with a
camera without the correct date. I suspect this is common with most users.

3. the folder view is not very helpful - I have organised my photos into
folder and f-spot will organise them by folder, but it insists upon
displaying all my photos on the same page rather than allowing me to
navigate through the folders.

4. the "export to gallery" doesn't seem to be as feature rich as the
gthumb one - I use this a lot and like to be able to choose between
different themes.
----

I believe the first point is pretty moot. However points 2 and 3 seem
to (in a way) be the same problem. Basically how should F-Spot handle
files that are not structured in the "F-Spot way"?

Something like revamping the IconView would help here. But it might be
a good way to (in the long run) get some help from eg the usability
lab Larry has access to get comments on what user do that we don't
forsee.

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2006-July/000795.html