Re: My top Goal list

On 8/27/06, Marcus Hast <marcushast gmail com> wrote:
Hi all,
Lots of interesting ideas here, I'll just chime in with my top ones:

* Grouping / Stacking and handling versioning/tagging with this
properly. (So an image can be a "version" of a group, eg panorama or
HDR composite.) It should be possible to have recursive behaviour.
(This means that the "group" of images needs to be a F-Spot object
which can have tags attached etc.)

I  think it is import to make this in a as general way as possible so we don't need to extent the database with more coloumns more than once. Adding coloumns might effect the code a lot of places. Some discusion and thinking about this might be a good idea. Maybe someone can come with more use cases for multiple versions/groups/stacks/<whatever that is a like this>?

* Printing support. The basics would be that the same sizes aren't
used everywhere. So it should be possible to alter the crop ratios
depending on what you want to print. A basic aid for printing could be
to add a "DPI" calcuation for the image. This would aid the user
before printing. More advanced features would be to make it possible
to create collages or print on several pages (eg to make "cheap"
panorama prints).

Maybe it would be benificial to modularize this as a output/export module?

* Modularize effects. Make a standard interface to handle effects.
This could quite possibly be handled better with a plugin API.

I think that is a good idea. It would be good if  f-spot in the future could remember 'the script' that is used to  create the final result so the first steps can be modified without redoing all the steps again.

* Import RAW+JPEG. I would like if my RAW+JPEG shots were
automagically imported as one image. The RAW would be the original
image and the JPEG would be a version of it.

' Multihead support. If I could use both my screens to manage my
photos that'd be great. Eg use one for browsing and one for
editing/zooming.

Yes that would be good. (Especially if I had more than one screen :)

Some of these are pretty easy (RAW+JPEG import) and some are way
harder (I imagine multihead would be tricky.)

I have another feature that I think is important and extremly easy to fix:

* Don't insert spaces and parenthesis in automaticly created filenames since it will give problems to some users ( e.g. some printing shops don't accept thoses files)