Re: Goal #3: item 'Photos dir'

On To, 2006-08-24, 03:57, Dotan Cohen skrev:

>> Joe Blow hears about F-Spot and decides to give it a try.
>> He imports a bunch of photos and tags them.
>> He realizes he's almost out of space on /home, but has plenty in a
>> separate
>> partition /files
>> He wants to change to have /files/Photos be his new import directory
>> He wants to have all of his photos together for simplicity/backup/etc
>>
>> From what I understand of the current plan, the first photos he imported
>> would stay in ~/Photos, and new imports would go to /files/Photos?  Is
>> this
>> ideal?  What if he is a non-English speaker and Photos doesn't make any
>> sense to him?  Again, this may be something we need to accept giving the
>> 2
>> week constraint, and just having in the ability to change it would be a
>> big
>> step forward.
The Rename patch (after I fix it up) could partially (or fully) solve
this, by renaming/moving photos.

>> I don't actually import to Photos because I like to leave my photos in
>> directories by event.  Does the case I raise here worry the import to
>> Photos
>> users? Or not?

Not at this point, but I would definitely prefere this.
Much easier to have backups then. The normal user would not copy
.gnome2/f-spot/photos.db. He would not even know it existed.

> I'm getting into this a bit late, but this is how I see it:
> I am one of those users where the directory Photos makes no sense- I
> would ideally have my pictures in a directory called ת×?×?× ×?ת or even
> transliterated to "tmunot". So the renaming of the Photos directory is
> important to me. There could even be a situation where a user has a
> directory called Photos, decides to try out F-spot, and has his Photos
> directory ruined.
>
> On first run F-spot would ask where does the user want to keep his
> photos. "~/Photos" may well be a default value. The file photos.db
> would be inside this main directory, and this main directory could be
> considered an album.

Good suggestion I think.
But outside the current scope.

> If the user wants to add another album, he would click File->New
> Album. The wizard would ask for the new albums' location, which would
> be another directory. Inside that directory would be another photos.db
> file.

Sounds good to me :)

> The user would switch albums under File -> Albums -> Home Album, Work
> Album, etc. The user could select files from Album1 and move or copy
> them to Album2. That would solve the problem of a user wanting to move
> his current Photos directory: he could simply create a new album and
> move the pictures there.

This is getting a bit of track I think, but also perhaps link same photo
to multiple albums.

> There could even be an Import Album feature where the user selects a
> directory that contains a photos.db file (created by another instance
> of F-spot, say on a laptop, and moved to the local machine) and have
> it added to the list of albums. This would let Joe bring his laptop
> with him on vacation, tag his photos in his spare time, and then
> import them to F-spot. It would also facilitate easy backup.
I think F-Spot could tag the photos.db with only thumbnails. Just disable
writing meta data to photos. Then when you get back, copy the photos.db
back, set a DUMMY tag to all photos, enable writing Meta Tags, and delete
the Dummy tag. Then wait.... :) preferably we will have the async write by
then.

> Thanks for listening. Can't wait to beta-test your patches!
Looking forward to hear your comments/reviews on the patches. In
particular XMP import patch :)

/Bengt