Re: Patch Review please : 321770 - Import Roll History

Sorry for going on about this issue here. I guess it's not really
relevant for this code review as it's really a bigger issue. OTOH I
feel like it's better to comment on it and get it out now than after
it's been merged into the codebase.

> My main point with this fix is that it seems to me that adding the
> "import time" to each photo and then using that to sort would be a
> simpler and more elegant solution than adding a new table to the
> database.
>
> But again, I may well be missing some obvious flaws with performance
> or similar with that idea.

 In both ways there would be additional tables to the database.
Current Last 20 rolls --> 2 tables, one index and one time.

Keeping all Import times --> 1 tables (time), and one extra column (time id)
in photo

Ok, so I guess that part is pretty much moot then. Naturally the
tables will be larger if the import time is stored for all images.

Looking at how other software does this it seems like iPhoto has a
concept of "rolls", although it is not treated as a special case of a
group but a separate concept. And Picasa does it as well kind of by
default. (You usually import pictures to a new folder per import,
though it doesn't have to be named by date-time.) I don't know how
Lightroom and other software does it though.

Or should this patch be left as is and options for keeping the import
time be saved for when a more solid foundation of "grouping" is
implemented?

/Marcus