Re: f-spot in a photo workflow

On 8/3/06, Aigars Mahinovs <aigarius gmail com> wrote:
It would be very nice if we could make a discussion about that and
build a roadmap of new features for F-Spot based on that workflow.

I'm not one of the developers on the team here (yet) but I have
experienced some of your concerns myself. Currently I'm looking of the
code to see if I can do something about my #1 problem with F-Spot,
that all files end up in a continous view. My idea is to do something
similar to eg Picasa where while all images are in one view they are
grouped by folder. This meakes it a bit easier to quickly scan over
images (IMHO). Now I was thinking of adding a variant of that were
images are grouped by day as well, that should fit well with the time
line which F-Spot uses.

I have no idea when I will get around to making that work however. I
have no experience with C# or mono, I do have a lot of Java experience
so I doubt C# will give me all that much problem.

Regarding the concept of work flows and effects I have an old idea
that I've been kicking around. I was going to write about it here
before but I never got around to it (the topic was brought up a few
months back). Basically I ripped the idea of how many lab tools model
flow processing and applied it to photos. And in addition I considered
ways of making a standard interface for tuning parameters as well as
linking several effects together. If people are interested I'll try to
put something together to demonstrate what I mean.

Other than that I think versioning is the best feature in F-Spot and
it confuses me that other tools haven't added this feature yet. To me
(as a developer) versioning is one of the obvious things missing from
many other photo tools. Trying to work on this (I think
grouping/stacking could be an interesting way to expand on it) is
something I think would improve F-Spot.

I haven't really seen a lot of feature discussions, is this mailing
list the right place for it?

/Marcus Hast