Re: Threaded MetaData (Was: Importing XMP data with SemWeb)

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 14:25 -0500, Larry Ewing wrote:
> I understand.  When implementing the current f-spot metadata code I
> found I had basically underestimated the complexity at every scale and
> ended up spending much more time than I intended on getting it working.
> So once things were minimally working I focused on other more visible
> and important f-spot issues.   I haven't yet had the stomach to wade
> back in to metadata and get it to the point where it is providing much
> value to the user.  Hopefully that will change in the future, getting
> your patch working is a good first step, so is the threaded metadata
> writing patch.

Ah, very nice to hear it's not being ignored. Having threaded metadata
writing is just a really nice side-effect of the WorkerThread inside
that patch. The real power of that patch is that it allows long-running
background tasks*. We'll be able to use the words "f-spot", "flickr",
"synchronisation" in one sentence when I'm done with this.

I'm currently looking into creating a bzr branch of f-spot to keep track
of this stuff, as doing it from a CVS checkout is a pain to create a
diff.

Kind regards,
   Ruben

* and the database API becomes much nice off course.

--
Ruben Vermeersch (rubenv)
http://www.Lambda1.be/