Re: Video support

On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 09:10 +0100, Paul Cooper wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer - it was seeing the Gdv stuff on the Diva blog
> that got me thinking about video support in f-spot. For now it would be
> great if I could work out how to include video files in the db, tag
> them, and show a snapshot frame (like nautilus) and then launch totem
> when clicked. Inline playing would be great but right now I'm just
> struggling to work out how to do the simple stuff.

Okay, makes sense to bite of bits (well, chunks really :)) at a time.
The database shouldn't need to be modified for this, it doesn't care
about file types at all.  Tagging should work fine too.  The problem is
getting the photos in and represented as objects that can work in that
framework.

I'm not familiar with adding new formats in, but doing a quick grep
PngFile * on the source shows that you'll need to add an entry to
ImageFile.cs for the file types you're wanting to support, and the
corresponding class that knows about them (which implements the virtual
methods of ImageFile).  There are issues like disabling features you
likely don't want to implement for videos (like rotating), etc, but I
think that should get you started.

Gabriel