Tags versus categories

Hello all!

I would like to ask whether there is really a need to differentiate
between tags and categories, and if not, if the two could be merged.
Since categories can be applied to photos just like tags, is there
really a need for a tag which cannot have children?

Say for example that I have a tag called "Joe Bob" which contains a
whole lot of pictures of my good friend Joe Bob. After a while I
notice that I want to make separate  tags for pictures of Joe Bob's
feet and Joe Bob's hands, since I have a lot of pictures of one
apendage or the other and want them organized separately. As it is
now, one would have to create the new tags under a different parent,
tag the pictures and then delete the original "Joe Bob" tag and
replace it with a "Joe Bob" category. The situation gets even more
tricky if I have a number of pictures of Joe Bob's face which I want
to sit in the "Joe Bob" category without their own sub-tag.

The example may be a bit ridiculous, but one could easily envision
this sort of situation for a location or event. Along with the Tag
Typing and Drag and Drop tag patches of which I have hear, this change
could make the whole taggin process a bit easier. Plus, there are
fewer commands and things for new users to figure out, which is always
good.

Unless I am missing something, one could simply remove tags all
together and rename "categories" to "tags" and possibly update the
database layout (which appears to be happening anyway).

Sorry for such a long email for a relatively small feature, I got a
little involved in the example story there :)

Thanks for a fantastic program, I am eagerly awaiting the newest version,
Daniel Hackney

--
Daniel M. Hackney
Bergwaldstraße 15