Re: Picasa2 effects

On Ti, 2005-12-20, 05:47, Brian J. Murrell skrev:
> On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 07:37 +1100, Bengt Thuree wrote:
>>
>> And I am not sure that f-spot would benefit by having a dependency on
>> gimp.
>
> IMHO sure it would.  It would benefit from all of the image manipulation
> that the gimp offers and not have to re-invent the wheel.

True... But please observe that I did mention SIMPLE! Nothing advanced,
and that goes with the implementation of it also.

>> And those people who install gimp, probably know how to use it
>> also.
>
> And those who don't have it installed because they don't know how to use
> it be damned?  I have it installed, but I'd hardly say I know how to use
> it.  It has some basic understand that needs to happen before you can be
> useful with it.
:) Damned? I don't think I mentioned that, and nope I did not mean that
(although it could be interpreted as that)
Just ment that the people who has Gimp, and use it, are very comfortable
with it and would probably prefere to use it rather than F-Spot.

On the other hand...
I would think the a lot of people (majority probably) will not know how to
use Gimp, and I do not think Gimp is installed by default in all
distributions yet. Otherwise a 15-20 MB download... Just for some minor
features...

> However, with just the need for some "cooked up" recipes, f-spot could
> have all of the image manipulation capabilities of the gimp.

> As an optional dependency (i.e. you don't install the gimp, you don't
> get no image manipulation abilities) who cares?
>
> Other projects work like this, dvd::rip is one.  You install
> dependencies for the things you want to be able to do.

True, if the easiest way to do this is to use Gimp, then we use it.
But can you get the same feeling as Picaso? That is you work through the
F-Spot interface, and modify parameters (move mouse or whatever) and see
the result directly? If so, no problems.

I can see one definit use for this anyway.
Someone wants to send a picture by email and decides to snap it up a bit...
All done from f-spot's interface. (Of course, f-spot must be able to
shrink down the size of the picture before sending it... :) )

/Bengt
--
Bengt Thuree   bengt thuree com    www.thuree.com/bt