Re: F-Spot Use Cases? Relevant or not?

Hej Larry

On Ti, 2005-08-16, 02:35 pm, Larry Ewing skrev:

> The metadata and searching issues are fairly open right now.  I'm
> currently leaning more towards keeping as much metadata in the file as
> possible so that other tools like beagle have easy access to it.  And
> once that is done it makes sense to question if you can use those tools
> to your advantage.  After all if there is a general desktop index that
> has the information we want, it may make sense to use it.

Sounds very good to me... To keep the information in the image itself.
Should only be one master database which should be the picture. Much
easier to take backups then.
But that do not stop us from having our own internal database (which
should be possible to synch up or down with the pictures) to speed things
up a bit. It must be faster to search in our own database, or? Also, will
everyone have beagle installed?

> So the short term plan is to get read/write of XMP working as a generic
> metadata storage in both beagle and f-spot and once that is done sit
> down and make some choices about what data it makes sense to have in the
> f-spot index as opposed to a general desktop index.  Until that happens
> I don't want to clutter the f-spot db with a lot of extra information.

Any clue of when we can expect writing of XMP information back to the
pictures?

> --Larry

-Bengt

--