[Evolution] New button no longer works

Hi all,

For the couple months I've been using Evolution, whenever I wanted to create a new
email, I clicked the "New" button on the tool bar to create a blank email form,
which I filled in with the subject, recipient and message.

Then, yesterday, clicking the New button did nothing except make the button's
background a little darker. It did not open a blank email form. So I quit and
restarted Evolution, and the New button's functionality came back.

But now, restarting Evolution no longer fixes the New button functionality: Clicking
the New button yields no blank email form. Now the only way I can make a new email
is to click an address from an existing email, change that address to the one I want
to send to, and then fill in the subject and message.

How do I get back my New button functionality?

Thanks,

SteveT