Re: [Evolution] Is there a way to set the interface back to what it was?

On 2022-09-13 at 08:23 +0200, Andre Klapper wrote:
I'd disagree.
Many GNOME applications have been doing so for ages as it saves
screen estate. See attachments for examples of main windows.

Cheers,
andre

It does save screen estate,* but results in a less intuitive interface.
A menu bar provides a clear separation of the actions in sections
(menus) described by its title.

You usually pick the right menu on first attempt (admittedly, that may
be because we have been using programs for many years with a similar
convention of menus File, Edit, View… so perhaps a new computer user
would not be that used to find Open functions in the File menu),
whereas I find that the single-menu systems replacing them to be a
mixture where it's not clear where the function you are looking for
will be placed.

I am looking at gedit as a representative application. All the manus
seem to have been merged in the hamburguer menu, with most entries at
the first level, but some becoming submenus. You have the save menu in
the Title bar, but save as in the menu. Cut, Copy and Paste are gone,
you need to know about the contextual menu to find such entries
(advanced users won't use them, but newbies do use such menus/toolbar
icons)

There are open and save buttons in the title bar, which make sense as
they are likely to be the most used functions of a text editor. At the
same time, those buttons may not be used at all for users that learned
tte shortcuts Ctrl-O and Ctrl-S (precisely because these are so common,
it makes sense to learn them), but I guess they might be needed for
discoverability. I don't see a benefit over having them in a classic
toolbar. though.

(*) The savings are not as big as might be expected, though, since the
title bar, which could otherwise be relatively small, then increases
their size enormously (grows bigger than a toolbar) in order to host
all those controls. See the attachment comparing gedit and pluma side-
by-side.

Kind regards