Re: [Evolution] Is there a way to set the interface back to what it was?

On Tue, 2022-09-13 at 00:32 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
I thought the odd version numbers were development versions.

        Hi,
that still stands for the Evolution core products. The GNOME apps do
have this changed, but Evolution doesn't follow GNOME's  version
numbering for some time now (GNOME currently has 43.alpha, 43.beta,
43.rc, 43.0, 43.1,....).

and I wish that the interface had stayed as it was.
Now the send icon is in the Window title bar along with save as
draft, and other changes that are pointless.

I presume you mean in the "Compose Message" window? Or is it
somewhere else?

It's on many places, but not on all, just on those most used.

TBH it sounds like a bug - an application shouldn't put
anything in the title bar of a window.

It's called Client Side Decorations, and it had been changed within:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/merge_requests/108
It's an attempt to follow GNOME Human Interface Guidelines,
specifically the part about the header bars:
https://developer.gnome.org/hig/patterns/containers/header-bars.html

It's not possible to return back to what it was. One of the advantages,
I hope it is an advantage, is to be able to simplify the interface thus
the users can hide the menu bar and the tool bar and have cleaner
interface, a bit more fitting what the GNOME aims for for years. It can
be useful for some users at least - I, personally, keep menu and
toolbars visible. I believe it's a matter of habit, the buttons are
similar as before, they are only on a different place. It's true, the
toolbar is smaller now, using smaller icons. There will be one change
for the Mail view, there are too many labeled buttons, which results in
a forced window width, which can be larger than the desktop width, as
is filled here:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/evolution/-/issues/2022
I'll probably hide the labels and keep only icons there. I'm not sure
yet how to deal with it in the best way. Feel free to join the bug.
        Bye,
        Milan