Re: [Evolution] Announcement: this mailing list will be retired by the end of Oct 2022

BTW, the tradition and expectation of this list is "no top posting",
"no html mails" and "trim your posts".  But I suppose that's a moot
point now.

I'm trying to work out how I'm going to deal with this - we've been
told to shut up and just do it, so I am ...

Tagging means adding a tag to a specific thread that is created to
make sure it can easily be filtered out and most importantly it can
easily be configured as a watcher (i.e the process that allows you to
receive an email when a new email / response has been added to a
thread). Our Discourse instance already has a tag called "evolution",
which can be used to tag a specific thread at creation time (or later
on in the process) to make sure it gets properly filtered for
contributors that are only interested in mc conversations. Each
Discourse category comes with an email endpoint, let's say you want
to create a new thread under the Applications category, you can send
an email to the applications discourse gnome org email and it gets
automatically posted to Discourse, like you do today with Mailman. In
the background we can configure an automatic tag, that is whenever
the Evolution or Evo (or anything you prefer) word is mentioned
(similar to what happens today with Mailman list name tag on
subjects) the "evolution" tag is automatically added to your thread,
that eases consumption by your contributors which have watchers
defined for the "evolution" tag.

So there is no specific "category" for Evolution. We can't directly
mail to, say, evolution discourse gnome org? It relies on some behind
the scenes automation to correctly tag a message?  What happens when
someone mentions "the evolution of evince as a PDF viewer", will that
get tagged as well?  Does the automation only apply to incoming mail or
would any web posts also get auto-tagged?

I'm more than happy to work with you guys to ease this transition.
But please keep in mind that nobody is forcing you to use a web
forum, Discourse (NOT Discord) can also work as a plain mailing list

But it really looks like this is a web forum thing that can notify you
of posts, but with an incoming email parser stuck on the side for those
that really must use email.  It doesn't have the feel of something that
has been designed as a mailing list replacement at its heart.

(please see Andre's mail [1] around this), so don't be alarmed.

We are not alarmed. We are dismayed and annoyed at the precipitous
nature of this announcement.

P.